Tuesday 30 April 2013

Fabric hearts

The next step in preparing  my window display was creating the fabric hearts that will be hung from the tree along with the airmail envelopes.
 The fabric that is used as part of this window is vital  as it needs to stand out and be eye catching but it also needs to compliment whatever garments will be on the mannequins in the window. The main problem with working with a one off vintage shop is that you can't plan what garments to put in the window until the day because they might get snatched up  by a customer before they make it to the window. Once the garments are in the window of course there is even more of a chance that they will be brought because they are on display they can catch peoples eyes as they walk past. I decided to stuff to blue and red fabric for the hearts for this reason because  they will match the colours of the paint on the window.
After much thought while in the fabric shop I decided on these four fabrics to use for my hearts. I picked theses four because I felt that there was a good mix of textures from light cotton to corduroy to a thicker more denim style cotton. I decided on the different style check pattern so there would be detail to the hearts without being  to fussy or having a pattern such as hearts or flowers on them.

  Next I cut out  heart shapes so I could sew them together and stuff them so they could hang off the tree and be visible from any angle. To decorate the hearts I found a selection of buttons to glue to the front and back of the hearts.
 Now time to get making...
 Here is the finished result of a selection of the fabric hearts I made the buttons on the front  of the hearts add a nice detail to the heart. The only preparation left to do is to spray the sticks and twigs and securing them into the plant pot.



No comments:

Post a Comment