Tuesday 30 April 2013

Preparing my window display





This week has been spent gathering materials for my very first window display.

After deciding that the window its self was going to have an airmail frame around it I researched into how would be best to do this. My first idea was to use chalk pens to draw the pattern on to the window, however once I began looking into how it looks and what other people have used I found out that chalk pens can look patchy in larger block areas and that the best thing to use to paint blocks of colour on windows emulsion paint from your local hardware shop  is the best to use because it doesn't look patchy and its easy to scrap off when you are done.
 So off to the hardware shop I went to pick out paints for the window.  After what seems like hours staring at paint charts I finally decided on my colours,

The red that I decided to go for in the end was Dulux Fire Cracker 2. This red is rich and bright and close to the vibrant red of that on the airmail envelopes yet has a warmer feel to it .
The next step was to find a blue that would  compliment this red, another quarter of an hour staring at paint charts and I finally decided on a blue. Royal Regatta 3 seemed like the perfect match it is a rich blue that is just as bright as the Fire Cracker  red.


As you can see the colours are both bright and bold and stand out on there own  however they both compliment each other well and will work perfectly to frame my window.



While at the hardware store i also decided to pick up my giant plant pot that would hold my tree.
I decided on this as my plant pot the colour was irrelevant as it was going to be sprayed white anyway, I picked this shape over the others because thee square one had to much detail to it and the other circular one was to plain and looked like a tube. This pot had a small amount of detail to make it interesting but not enough to draw to much attention to it.  


Once I had my paint and my pot the next step would be to find airmail envelopes and fabrics to make hearts to hang off the tree. 


No comments:

Post a Comment