Tuesday 30 April 2013

Installing My Window Display

Finally after all my preparation it was time to instal my window display. We decided that Monday would be the perfect day to install the window as Hepwrights is closed on Mondays so I had the whole day to install my window without having to worry about being in any customers way.
  
I arrived at Hepwright's at ten am and began to empty the window of the display and then the task of masking up the window began. Masking up the was a lot more time consuming than I first thought as  the window had to be measured and then have border put around it  then measured a four  inch border more to the center on the window and then divided with three inch diagonal sections so that it looked like this.




















As you can see I began to paint in the sections of the window so that i could check that the sections looked the right size once they were filled in  once the whole table was masked up I continued to fill in the sections until they were all painted. in the top right hand corner I masked up my template of the queens head and painted in white to look like a stamp.



The next step while waiting for the paint to dry  was to put together the outfits for the mannequins.
I decided to go for a block colour pillar box red dress with three quarter length sleeves and a built in belt with a gold clasp. The male mannequin would need to compliment this so i picked out a navy coloured suit I teamed this up with a patterned shirt in browns oranges and yellows The bold shirt  under a plain suit really stands out and shows that Hepwrights have some interesting  menswear garments.
Pulling the tape off the window was one of the most satisfying  moments of creating the window seeing the evelope take shape. I did plan on going around the queens head with a red square however I am glad I decided against it as I feel that this gives the impression of an airmail envelope enough and if it had a background to the stamp it would also need an airmail stamp and an address across the window and that would make it difficult to see the rest of the window.

The next step was to install the tree and position the mannequins. The tree was places to the left hand side as the twigs bent to the right across the window. I secured the twigs in place with fishing wire that was tied to the ceiling.  This meant i could place both the mannequins to the right hand side I wanted them positioned them facing slightly to the tree so they appeared to be almost walking.
Airmail envelopes were the first things i attached to the tree. There were two different colours of envelopes this worked better than just bright white  airmail envelopes as they stood out a bit to much.

As for the fabric hearts being hung on the tree as well  it made the tree look overloaded and  they didn't fit with the theme of the window  as i had planed them to. They made the window look very arts and crafty and that was a look that both me and Catherine wanted to stay well away from.




By the time all of this was done and I had tidied up it was beginning to get dark  this meant I could see how the window looked with the lights on in it.



So that's my first every window display installed. I had  great fun creating it and I defiantly learnt a lot such as it takes longer than expected and you have to be prepared for your original plan to change on the day if it doesn't look right.

As well as installing the display this became the cover photograph on Hepwright's Facebook page to help tie in with the window. 

 With the spare airmail envelopes We made gift voucher tags to place around the shop to help promote the fact that they where available in store and could be personalised for whoever you wanted.

Let me know what you think it would be great to hear what you like about the window and what you would change.






No comments:

Post a Comment