Saturday 4 May 2013

Attempting to make flower pom's

To figure out how to make my flower pom's i decided to search the wonders of youtube.com as being able to watch how somebody make them is always easier than just following steps that have been written down.
This was the video i decided to follow, take a look it will show you just how simple they are to make.

After watching the video I went to the craft shop to get tissue paper in different colours and string.
These were just some of the colours that I chose to make my poms out of.
The mix of bright colours with pastels means that they will  match with any garment that can be found in Hepwright's.
Pastels are the colour scheme that is associated with the spring season so it made sense that I used colours from the pastel palette but at the same time teaming them with bright colours it would keep the display away from having a  purely pastel theme to it.

 
Half way through my first pom and it was starting to take shape. The only difficult part of making the pom was folding it to the same size each time and then when separating each layer making sure not to rip the tissue paper.









 
Et Voila
 A homemade flower pom. This pom was made with nine sheets of tissue paper five pink four orange.
I am impressed with my first few attempts at flower poms i decided to experiment with making smaller sized ones.

The smaller poms look a lot fuller using nine layers. For the larger poms I might try experiment with more layers to see if they look better and more spherical.
 
I decided that eleven layers of tissue paper worked better for me with my poms and making my folds smaller so they were just under an inch helped make my poms keep there shape more.
As you can see I've been a very busy bee and flower poms have been taking over my life. 
I feel although I could make them in my sleep now I have made so many different sizes, mix of colours, different numbers of sheets of tissue paper, some with large folds and some with small.
Hopefully by having such a range of flower poms it will look better and more personal than all one size and one colour.
Let me know if any of you have tried out making these and if so how you got on .



No comments:

Post a Comment